Hands down the top complaint I hear from ladies is about their bellies. They want to know “how do I get rid of this belly fat?” Ladies, we usually start out willing to do anything lose the belly fat for obvious reasons. Nobody wants to look pregnant when they actually aren’t. This is a common problem and struggle for many people.
Many of us want to get rid of belly fat or visceral fat for aesthetic reasons but your health is of major concern. Excess visceral fat is thought of as deadly fat because it surrounds vital organs in the abdominal cavity. Allowing visceral fat to build can put you at risk for developing preventable diseases such as type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. There are three things that affect the amount of visceral fat on your body – and we all know that these variables are.
1. Poor diet.
2. Lack of effective exercise.
3. Inability to manage stress.
Now that we know what causes the excess dangerous fat we need to talk about how to get rid of it! Before I give you the blueprint to losing belly fat let’s make one thing clear – diet tea will not fix this problem. So, ditch the “Flat Tummy Tea”, you know you haven’t experienced lasting results anyhow. Save your money and put it toward investing in high quality food and cute workout clothing.
4. Cardio, high intensity interval training…but not too much. I recommend high intensity interval training 3 times a week. Why? Because high intensity interval training can spike cortisol in the body (stress hormone). This can lead to excess weight and belly fat – exactly what we don’t want. Treadmill sprints, jump squats or jump lunges are great body weight exercises that involve the entire body and will help reduce belly fat.
5. Planks, all variations. Planks are wonderful for reducing belly fat because you are working multiple muscles at once. Not only will planks help with belly fat, they will help improve posture and flexibility. Before you start, make sure your plank form is correct. If you are a true beginner, start holding your plank for 20 seconds. Once you’ve become an expert, hold you plank for 1 full minute.
6. Bicycle crunches. Amazing for trimming your waist! This core strengthening exercise is going to target your obliques (where muffin tops reside) as well as the rectus abdominis (the front of the abs). You will want to do this move slow motion and feel every muscle in your body working. Again, form is so important in order to yield the best results. Practice doing bicycle crunches 3-5 sets starting with 10 repetitions then add 2-5 repetitions each week.
Best food choices to reduce belly fat. Remember that belly fat equals inflammation and we should always consume food and beverages that help reduce inflammation.
1. Leafy greens & lots of them
3. Berries; blueberries, cherries, raspberries – all anti-inflammatory
4. Green tea with lemon
5. Water, water & more water.
Ladies, we cannot negotiate when it comes to diet. When I say diet, I do not mean your temporary way of eating. If you really want to get rid of your belly fat for good you will have to adopt a healthy way of living. Consuming highly processed foods promotes inflammation, weight gain and belly fat.